Sunday, February 26, 2006

Mundane encore...

At least today there was some sunshine - not real warm, but sun, nevertheless. Ever since I planted my little seeds, we have had overcast days. So, I took my little trays and sat them in the yard so they could get feel the sun on their faces! I swear, I think two or three might have broke ground because of it! Sure hope they'll all thrive.

Work -- usual - got almost all my self-appointed quota done, and will have before I go to bed. I got so sleepy at one point, I fell asleep in my chair. My cat Quincy kept waking me up last night. Sometimes he acts like he's worried that I'm in bed and he thinks I'm not supposed to be there. So, he's quite persistent until I get up. Then I'll carry him back to bed with me to hoping it will shut him up, pet him a little. That will settle him down, but not last night! Silly cat!

Anyway, I finally decided if I was going to nap, I'd do it right and went to lay down on the couch. No news of any consequence on weekends, and I didn't get interested in the Olympics this year at all. I put the TV on Discover Channel, and watched a show about the JFK Assassination Conspiracies. It was so interesting. These guys went all out to prove or disprove the 4th bullet, 2nd gunman theory, magic bullet theory. The efforts that they went to in order to recreate that day was amazing! Well, I won't describe it all here, but as far as I'm concerned, their recreations and studies pretty much satisfied me that the Warren Commission was correct, and there was not a 2nd gunman. I never did get my nap. One thing, though, in their studies, they had to build replicas of his form and John Connolly's to study the traversing of the bullet and mentioned that JFK was 6 feet, and 170 pounds and his chest was 37 inches. I always thought of him as a bit more robust than that.

I suppose if you were alive Nov. 22, 1963, at 1:00 p.m - I believe it was a Friday - you remember what you were doing and where you were. I was in 10th grade at South Park High, lunch period, and we were hearing that he had been shot. The bell rang, we went to class - my next period was Texas history, and our principal made the announcement on the loud speaker that he died. Gosh, students and teachers alike cried. It was such a shock, almost unbelieveable. What an innocent era times were then. They let out school, and we spent the next few days glued to the TV watching the coverage on all three channels - NBC, CBS, and ABC, black and white, and that was it. Indeed, the nation and I suppose the world did change that day.


I got an email tonight that is circulating around the web that I'll pass along here. Now, I've been on the computer since Apple IIe -- well, really, before that. We even had a little TI (Texas Instruments). I took some computer classes in college, learned some programming, recovered hard drives, manage to hold my own most of the time -- and this is so simple a tip and I have never heard it before. But what a gem it is. If you've known it as long as the control C copies and control V pastes commands -- well, good for you - but it was news to me.

When you're in your email and the print is too small, click the mouse somewhere inside the piece of mail, then hold down the control key and roll the wheel on your mouse and it increases/decreases the font sizes. And, it seems to stay the size you left it. So, how 'bout that! Well, if it works in mail, maybe it works in Internet Explorer, too -- of course, I had to experiment -- and lo and behold, it does! Looks like I can hold off on that new eyeglasses prescription now for a while!
It doesn't take much to impress me, does it!

4 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 04:59:00 PM , Blogger Sally said...

I like your tip on how to increase the font size, but it won't work for me. I use a laptop with a touchpad instead of a mouse, and there is no wheel. Is there another way?

Sally

 
At 2/27/2006 07:12:00 PM , Blogger Lumoto said...

Hi, Sally!
I've tried everything - I thought - trying to get these fonts where these tired ol' eyes can see. You probably know the ones I know, and they wouldn't require the wheel.

Assuming you're using I.E., go to View, Text Sizes -- but that has little effect on the mail environment.

I've kept my screen resolution on 800x600 because of this reason. However, if you want to use the 1024x768, then you can do a couple of things that do help, up to a point:

Right click your desk top (or start > control panel > display) - go to Properties, go to Appearance: Font Size: select Large or Extra Large. You can be more precise in this control by going to Advanced from the Apperance screen. You will see the drop down menu, and you can select the size of fonts for the various functions.

Another option, or to combine with the above, is go to the tab Settings, check if you have your resolution at the 800 or the 1024 just so you'll know if you don't already -- or make your change if you like -- then go to the Advanced button on the Settings tab; there is a drop down menu DPI setting - select Large (which increases to 120 dpi); or you can set a custom size. You'll probably have to restart on this option.

These adjustments will take some patience to get just right and to understand what controls what - but you probably already have a handle on all that.

Otherwise, the simplest thing is to go get a cheap mouse - bet you already have one if you haven't thrown them all away yet - and use it long enough to use the wheel to make the setting. I won't swear to this, but I think the setting will stay put - but not positive about a restart.

How do you like your touch pad? I guess well, or you wouldn't be using it. Think I could use one with my laptop I ordered?

Hope something here helps... :)

 
At 3/01/2006 08:49:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is one I learned from a friend that is SO valuable if you don't know it already, hold alt with your thumb (that's the left one) and then hit tab. it puts you in the next program you have open. If you have 20 thing open at a time like I do, you just hold alt and hit tab until you find the program then let go. If it is only two programs you are going back and forth with, you can alt, tab and let go pretty quickly and it is so easy. What a life savor!
Little Pepper's Father

 
At 3/01/2006 09:19:00 PM , Blogger Lumoto said...

Hey there Abba Pepper :)
Nice tip! Nope,didn't know it. I can even manage to do it with one hand, alt key with the forefinger and tab key with the ring finger :) And it works! Very neat. This is so much nicer than trying to find what I want on the task bar!
Now to remember these will be the fun part! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home