Saturday, November 12, 2005

Things are lookin' up

For starters, my insurance lady called this morning, and of course, it wasn't without incident. While I was still evacuated and I first started on this claim, she had told me that there was a lien showing on my house. Well, that was totally in error as the house has been paid off for many years. So, at the time I went to the Allstate station, a trailer and tents set up in Wal-Mart's parking lot, carried my title and release of lien and they promised me it would be taken care of. Wrong!! No, it wasn't, still showing a lien. Thankfully, when I called the 1-800 number for Allstate, the lady who answered the phone was able to delete the lien off my file! Said it would take till Tuesday for it to show up, which wasn't good because the check was actually being cut today and then submitted for approval. So, I scanned and emailed the documents to my claim adjuster and she felt that was sufficient. So, as always, some big snag that takes about an hour or more to clear up. But it is cleared now. So, that's good.

Another issue that was on her mind was a measurement she wanted double-checked, the distance from the peak of the roof to the edge, for calculations of the number of squares. We tried our hand at an algebra formula for a right angle hypotenuse and somehow kept getting screwy answers -- you know, square root of A squared + B squared = C -- well, so much for our refresher course in that. So, I got brave, went out and set my ladder against the house and climbed up till I could see the roof, slid the metal tape up the roof slope till it caught on the ridge row and got my number and eased back down. Now, there was a time when I would have thought nothing of such a task, but not now - not clumbsy me. I put my cell phone in my pocket in case I fell!! And no, I did not get on the roof.

I called her back again and we got that number plugged in and it dropped the final number by about $59. But we both felt better about it because it has to be exactly accurate. She said Allstate can - not necessarily will - but can come out to check our measurements and want them within an inch, no less! Geez! Well, we're happy with what we've done and it is now in the hands of the powers that be! Hopefully this week I'll get my check. This stage is a little scary. I will exhale only after I have it safely in the bank.

Larry, the leveling fellow, finally returned my calls from yesterday and I didn't confront him at all, but questioned what he thought might be happening that my house isn't keeping the level on that front corner. He said he is totally perplexed about it, but he will be out Monday morning, hopefully between 8:00 and 9:00 and try to figure it out. In my extreme limited knowledge about leveling, I'm thinking I may have to buy a few more blocks to further support that corner, though I hate spending more money on this level job. It's adding up! But it's not unreasonsble that it might be needed.

The roofing man, James, also contacted me via email and will be also coming by Monday to get a contract signed on at least the house part of the work he'll do. He didn't mention the patio and the back room roof and the porch steps and railing, but he has agreed to do those things, so we'll see what he has in mind. Then he said his policy is to wait 3 days, giving me the opportunity to change my mind - I don't think so! -- and then I guess he can get started. So, maybe that will be next week, also - provided the weather is agreeable to roofing.

I have turned this house upside down and looked in every nook and cranny for my electric screwdriver and bits set. They are gone! It's hard not to wonder if some of these people coming in the house might have just picked them up. I bet I had left it laying on the dryer next to the back door I was trying to fix. Well, I'm sick of looking. Tomorrow I have to get groceries and things. So, I'll go buy another one and the set of bits or whatever you call them that goes with it!! Darn it! Then what do you want to bet I'll find mine and feel totally guilty and ashamed for thinking somebody took them and doubly stupid for not remembering where I put 'em.
(edited 11/29/05 -- prediction came true! I did indeed finally find them and posted my official apology.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home